Crunchy Bonzo Beans are a fun finger food for kids and a great way to incorporate legumes from your USDA Foods' allocations. They're easy to make, too!
3 #10 cans low-sodium garbanzo beans (USDA Food)
1½ c Vegetable oil
2½ T Paprika
2 T Garlic salt
3 T Onion powder
1½ T Black pepper, ground
Serving size: 1/4 cup
Yields: 105 servings
One serving provides: ¼ cup vegetable, beans/legumes
For full nutritional information, click the link below.
1. Pre-heat oven to 400°.
2. Open cans of beans, drain, and rinse beans well under cool running water.
3. Drain beans well and pat dry with towel.
4. Mix olive oil and the remaining seasonings in a bowl.
5. Add the beans and coat well. Pour them on the sheet pan and spread the beans out evenly.
6. Bake for 20 minutes at 400°. Stir the beans around on the pan and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes until crisp and roasted. Beans will turn dark in color.
1. One #10 can fits perfectly on a sheet pan.
2. Store at room temperature in an air tight container.
3. Serve in soufflé cup, or use to top a salad, or serve as a healthy snack.
4. If you bake ahead and they are not crisp at time of service, return them back to the oven at 400° for 5 minutes to re-crisp.
5. To make them spicy, add cayenne pepper.
Source: This recipe utilizing USDA Foods was developed by Chef Dee Dee Olson as part of a USDA Team Nutrition grant in 2014. https://educateiowa.gov/documents/team-nutrition/2016/07/tt-crunchy-bonzo-beans