Spice up your cafeteria during NSLW!
October 15-19, 2018
An annual affair, National School Lunch Week (#NSLW18) is a great opportunity to brag about the quality and benefits of your foodservice program to students, staff, parents and even your community, with the goal of raising participation. The School Nutrition Association has many resources to help you, including artwork; ideas for contests, promotions and social media posts; and tips for involving parents, elected officials and local media in your lunch service that week.
SNA's toolkit offers ideas such as:
- Have celebrity guests -- pro athletes, elected officials, TV personalities, team mascots -- serve lunch and have photos taken with students
- Invite parents to join students for lunch on Wednesday, October 17, designated School Lunch Day
- Host a local farmer (with livestock) for classroom activities on farm-to-school
- Have students create special artwork to dress up the cafeteria for the week
And here's one of our own ideas:
- Make your students feel extra special by staging a formal affair with white linens, mood lighting and music, decorations, and servers in black and white formal wear. This could even be on Wednesday, School Lunch Day, when parents are invited to join their children.
If you observe #NSLW18 in any way, make sure to share photos and videos on your social media channels.
To take full advantage of #NSLW18, start planning now!